There are players on play.nemegaming.com

It's Time to Talk - Well Needed Forums Upgrades

Discussion in 'Network Discussions' started by NotOkay, Oct 11, 2017.

1. NotOkay

NotOkay
    Legend

Hello, My name is NotOkay, and I've decided to throw out some things that might as well be said about the current state of the forums and the fact that how boring it has been.

- Back when I registered on to the new website in January, 2017, I found a clean slate to make new friends and meet some amazing people. As this has been fun, the forums have been slowly going downhill. Not just for me, but for multiple friends too. With me almost reaching the final Forums rank, I see barely any reason to come here and discuss things about the server anymore. I'm personally thinking about things such as a private shoutbox, forum name colors, and even customizable themes that can be chosen and changed at any time!

These upgrades and such would be under the tab called "Account Upgrades." Things under this category would contain items like the ability to buy a colored name, buy a forum rank, or even just support the website and its development in general! There would be a variety of colors ranging from Blue to Pink, and even Yellow. (That's one reason why I included the multiple theme idea) Forum ranks would simply allow members who have the rank to access things like a forums shoutbox, or a customizable tag which can be changed by request of a moderator or administrator.

The Shoutbox -

The shoutbox would be a chat room like the servers discord, but would only be on the forums. This chatroom would make communication from members to staff members much easier, and would also open the door to the next subject I will be talking about, which is the Forum Moderator position. The shoutbox gives members the ability to use emotes, colored chat, italics, bold, underlined, and striked out messages. These things will only be accessible under a chat format tab, which will be next to the message box. There would also be an emote button, an embed link button, and a picture button which would only be enabled for Moderators and any other staff rank above Half-Mod.

A new staff rank - Forum Moderator -

The Forum Moderator would be a position mainly and ONLY on the forums. This position would be given out to experienced forum members who have applied for the position. This would be a revolutionary change for the forums, since there will also be permissions given to the forums moderator rank which allows them to lock threads, edit out things such as ips, and delete threads which could be spam or even scams. This rank would have a green color, like the developer rank. This rank would be helpful for things such as the Shoutbox, which would need much moderation and would give some staff members who don't oftenly check the forums some slack if they needed it.

The Forum Rules - How they can be enforced -

These days, We have a simple set of rules on the forums which can easily be found under the rules tab or in my signature, however I believe that it should become even more simple than this. I think that there should be a feature where you must agree to the T.A.G. but also fully read the rules and agree to them that if you are to break them, consequences will appear. If this feature isn't added, there could also be a feature where the rules must be read and understood before a member posts their first post.

Anti-Necroposting - How it can be prevented -

During this time, Necroposting and reviving dead threads is becoming very common and very annoying. Just recently, I've seen THREE posts get revived, all from three to four months ago (Not counting the Off-Topic section) This type of action can be prevented by a new warning being added to the bottom of every post if the thread has not been replied to for two or more weeks. This would be helpful because there would be less spam threads being revived in forums that wouldn't need to be seen again, and because the amount of threads flowing into my alerts will be lower, since members will understand that there will be a possible punishment for reviving a thread that old.

Forum Rankings - What can be done -

Currently there is about six forum ranks, which are all almost achieved by myself. I've personally worked hard for these rankings, but I've ran out of ranks to work for since the last rank that I can get is only able to be achieved since I haven't been on the forums for a year. I think that a more vast amount of ranks should be added that will be unlock-able by receiving trophy points. I don't have much to say for this part, besides that it would be a nice addition.

and last but not least,

Forum Themes - How will they be helpful -

For my final topic, I'll be speaking about forum themes that can be chosen at the bottom of the website. These themes could contain a darker version of the website which leans away from the current bright version. This could be helpful if you were to be using the forums late at night and it becomes blinding to you, or if the forums becomes hard to view at times.

I'm sorry if this thread was a random shot in the dark, but I thought something should have been said about the lack of updates to the website at the current time. If you agree with some of these things, just rate the thread agree. thanks.

Anything to add? I'll maybe edit this in the future.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Rasturize

Rasturize Staff Member Manager BART SAM

I agree with many of these, some I don't but I won't go into that.

The forums are definitely something we can add on to and improve on as time goes on, and I would love to spend some time working on them when I return. I'll be sure to return to this post and take some ideas here. Well made post, thank you!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Temperr_

Temperr_

I agree with your ideas, also I suggest they allow us to view their hidden topics. Ranging from Helper applications to Ban appeals.

The Shoutbox
    This does seem like a good idea but the shoutbox would require constant active staff and without that it would be tough to prevent spam.

4. I'm sort of a random but I agree with this, I came to the forums to make some new friends too.. Granted it's not really worked but I do agree with the points in this thread. I'm really hoping some of the things here can be implemented to the forums soon and I look forward to seeing them!

5. NotOkay

NotOkay
    Legend

Thus the reason I’ve created a forums staff rank, the forum moderator. it would be their job to moderate the shoutbox.

6. 7thWonderOfFade

7thWonderOfFade

This is great idea !! Especially the forum themes :)

@NotOkay you should a poll for each idea

7. Temperr_

Temperr_

That being said, these forum moderators would have to be dedicated to staying active.
    You gotta think this is a forum and not a chatroom/chatforum.
    If this suggestion does get implemented then I suggest they add some sort of automatic spam filter, making it so certain forum members can direct users through links or post images in the shoutbox. Certain amount of forum hours/posts sort of thing.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  8. NobleProductions

NobleProductions Staff Member Upper Manager

Granted a few of these will require a bit more extensive work, they're definitely possible. In the meantime, I've gone ahead and added an anti-necro post warning that will show on all threads older than 30 days.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. BabyPanda

BabyPanda Staff Member Mod ROB

Love most of these, +1.

10. Temperr_

Temperr_

Whether it's relevant or not, the topic should be locked to prevent further discussions. Grave digging is annoying and topics that are 2 months old should be automatically locked. If new users need help on the forum there are Helpers they can easily PM.

11. NobleProductions

Having a blanket sweep on all old threads isn't the way to go about it. Not every thread that's old should be locked.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Temperr_

Temperr_

If the topic is important to present day then yes, I agree.

13. NotOkay

NotOkay
    Legend

@NobleProductions since you’re here and responding to this thread, i figured i would post another idea that I forgot to add in my OP. which is having a forum “bot” private message users on registration informing them about all the links they would possibly need when first coming here. links would also lead to the rules and other informative threads.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Henaliest

Henaliest Staff Member Helper

Negative ratings too please!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. NobleProductions

Definitely possible, we did have this on NC so I'll look into adding this today.

16. NotOkay

NotOkay
    Legend

Negative ratings are a mistake.

That’s fantastic! I like how i’m trying to say ways to keep the forums simple but putting way to much work into it. looking forward to what comes next.

17. Zelllex

Zelllex
    Experienced

If you're on the Forums just bc you want a higher rank. Why don't you find a new one *shrug*

I agree somewhat. But the Forums moderator rank is not necessary imo. We have plenty of staff on the forums at all times. I don't think there is a reason for this being a thing.

we all know u suggested it bc u want it xdxd

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. NotOkay

NotOkay
    Legend

or because i have to ask several moderators just to delete one post xdxd

“If you’re on the forums just because you want a higher rank, why don’t you find a new one?” Because i’ve already marked my territory here, almost like its my home. the forums is becoming bland and boring. you make it seem like you want it that way, and that’s fine.

19. NotOkay

NotOkay
    Legend

can you not do this on my thread? unless you have something genuine to say about my ideas, please don’t continue.

20. PolarPlus

PolarPlus Staff Member Senior Moderator BART ROB

I don't really see a point of having a Forum Moderator because we have plenty of Mods who look at the forums as Zelllex said and there are people who are apart of teams who check the forums at least every day and moderate the forums.

• Agree Agree x 1